Sunday, December 15, 2013

Fava Beans and End of School Semester

Snack attack!
Yet another school semester has come to end, and I can't believe that by May 2014, I will have a Master's Degree! I won't be deceitful and tell you the path to get here has been easy for me. It hasn't. I had many obstacles to conquer along the way - mainly my own self-doubts - but here I am.

I have learned that in order to release the shackles that are my self-doubts, I had to start being good to myself, even if the steps to get there appeared trivial and unnecessary. While in graduate school, I often had thoughts of giving up - I felt I was not as being as social as everyone else - and it was tough for me to find a place of my own among the crowds of all the students. I stuck with it, and even met wonderful people along the way. I would not have been able to do that if I gave up. 

Now, onto the fava beans. What is presented before you is not necessarily a recipe, but a suggestion for a healthy, iron, calcium, and protein-packed snack. I adore fava beans and remember eating them this way since a little kid. My mom used to make them for me all the time, and now whenever I see fava beans in the supermarket, I get very excited - nerd alert!

Fava beans with sea salt. 
Fava Beans with Sea Salt

Ingredients
1 pound (16-oz) dry fava beans
Sea salt to taste

Directions
Before preparing the beans, you must soak them first. Place the fava beans in a large container, cover with plenty of water, cover tightly, and place in the refrigerator overnight.

To prepare, rinse the beans, and place in a medium to large pot with plenty of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to low, and cook until the beans are fork tender, for about 40-50 minutes or longer (see package directions).

Drain, and sprinkle with sea salt. I eat the entire bean including the skin, you can choose to eat with or without. Enjoy!

Eat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment