Monday, December 23, 2013

Baked Tofu and New Year's Resolutions

I used to take part in the popular tradition of making New Year's Resolutions each year without fail. Why did I do that? For one, I thought New Year had magical powers that would transform my way of thinking as well as the way I interpreted situations as the clock was striking midnight.

Well, things do not work that way. The clock has no magical powers, however YOU do. Only YOU can decide what things you would like to improve upon or work towards. A particular time of year will not necessarily propel you towards your goals, although it may give you an incentive.

You know what I think? I think that we do not need a specific time of year to change. Any day and anytime should work. So, there is no need to wait for a Monday or for the first of the month, to start being good to ourselves. We can do it now!

I have decided that I will become more socially open - whatever that means - and I am not waiting for New Year's to start. Yesterday, I went out with some peeps, played pool, and enjoyed getting to know people. I did not wait for New Year's to make this change, I just went for it. It was FUN! Your turn - go!

Cheers! 

Baked tofu rocks!
Baked Tofu

Ingredients
1 (16-oz) package high protein organic tofu, super firm (extra firm or firm tofu may be substituted)

Marinade
1/3 cup soy sauce (substitute with tamari to make it gluten free)
2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Freshly ground lemon pepper to taste (black pepper may be substituted)

Directions
Prepare the marinade first by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Drain the tofu, dry it with a towel, and slice into 8 large "equal" pieces. Now cut these into triangles - only if you dare to be fancy pants about it. I dared.

I don't usually press the tofu, you can go either way. You don't need to press it for this recipe. Place the sliced tofu in a large container and pour the marinade over it. Cover, and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 2 hours.

When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 300 F. Coat a large baking pan with non-stick cooking spray, add the tofu, and pour the remaining marinade over it. Bake at 300 F for about 20-25 minutes. Flip over, and bake for another 10-15 minutes, depending on the texture you desire.

Serve in sandwiches, on pizza, or eat it as a snack. I keep mine in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It never lasts that long because I tend to eat it right away.

*Note
Instead of the spices suggested, use other spices of choice. This recipe is good for the times when you want to try new spices or get rid of old spices taking up space in your pantry.

Eat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment