Monday, August 19, 2013

Quick Beer Bread Pizza Dough

Quick Beer Bread Pizza Dough
Sundays are usually somewhat productive days for me in comparison to Saturdays. I wake up, feed the feline brood, clean the apartment (oh joy!), and speak to mom and brother - they live in Poland - for an extensive period of time.

I also make or purchase pizza every Sunday. In the past, when I lived in NYC, pizza day used to take place on Fridays. Now that I live in Boston, I thought I would switch things a bit in order to make life more exciting. Thus, Pizza Sunday was designated.

Back to pizza recipe inspiration. Oftentimes, after a three-hour long conversation with Polandia, I find myself to be very hungry. I don't want to wait for the pizza dough to rise or bother with delivery. This Sunday, I thought I would try making beer bread pizza dough - a spin off my 3-Ingredient Beer Bread. I am happy to report the recipe worked out.

Cheers!

Viva Vegan Pizza! I topped mine with tomato sauce, kalamata olives, sautéed spinach, mushrooms, and Trader Joe's Vegan Style Mozzarella Shreds. 
Quick Beer Bread Pizza Dough (Makes about two 8-inch thick crust pizzas)

Ingredients
4 cups self-rising flour (not regular flour)
1 (12-oz can) vegan beer of choice, at room temperature
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vegan sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano (optional)

(Two aluminum foil sheets coated with non-stick cooking spray for baking)

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 F. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups of self-rising flour with salt, sugar and oregano. Add olive oil and beer. Mix well. Gradually, add the remaining one cup of self-rising flour, while mixing the dough with a spatula at the same time. This dough will be moist unlike regular pizza dough. With that in mind, use your hands to flatten it instead of rolling it out.

Divide the dough into two 'equal' pieces. Shape each piece on the prepared aluminum foil to thickness of choice, using one hand. Wet your fingers in warm water, as many times as necessary, to prevent from sticking and for ease of shaping. This method works really well.

Once you have the dough shaped to the size and the thickness of preference, top it with preferred base such as tomato sauce or pesto. Now add toppings of choice. Carefully transfer the pizzas using both hands to the oven and bake at 425 F for 15-20 minutes. The dough puffs up and gets golden brown around the edges when ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment