Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Ethiopian Inspired Lentil Stew with Spinach

Ethiopian Inspired Lentil Stew with Spinach
Hi there, how are you? My turn? I am well, and I have a confession to make. Here it goes...I have never tried Ethiopian food, yet I dare to call my dish "Ethiopian Inspired." I have done some research regarding the spices involved, and concluded that my pantry and spice collection combined play a role to a gentle introduction to Ethiopian Cuisine. What do you think? Cheers!

Ethiopian Inspired Lentil Stew with Spinach

Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional, I used water)
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3 whole cloves
1 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika
3 cardamom pods, cracked
1 teaspoon fenugreek, crushed (optional)
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
1 and 1/2 cups green lentils (any kind will do)
1/2 cup split green peas (add creamy texture to dish)
5 cups water or vegetable stock (I used vegetable stock)
1 (16-oz package) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted

Directions
In a large pot, sauté the onion in oil or water over a medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, all the spices, and tomato paste and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Stir constantly.  Add a splash of water if necessary; 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time to prevent from sticking to the pan. Add lentils, split green peas, 5 cups water/vegetable stock and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for about 1 hour until the stew is creamy. Stir occasionally. Add spinach, stir and turn off the heat. Taste for salt and serve. Be sure to watch out for cloves and cardamom pods when eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment