Saturday, August 3, 2013

Cheapskate Red Lentil Curry

Cheapskate Red Lentil Curry
I love Indian food! I eat it and make it often. I highly recommend Vegan Indian Cooking cookbook which serves as a great introduction to Indian cooking and spices. While I think that Indian spices are awesome, I realize that not everyone has access to purchasing them, so I invented this Indian inspired curry for YOU (lies I tell you, it is mostly for me). Anyhow, I invite you to try it in efforts to tell me how easy and spectacular it is.

I offer a 10-minute therapy session free of charge for those who DARE to question the validity of this tasty dish. Good deal, no? Once I am finished with grad school, the fee will change.

Cheers!

Cheapskate Red Lentil Curry

Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional, I used water)
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 chili or jalapeño pepper, stems removed, deveined, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon crushed fenugreek (optional)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups red lentils
1 (14-oz can) light coconut milk
2 and 1/2 cups water, plus additional for sautéing
1 and 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 3 small potatoes)
1 cup frozen green peas
Cilantro for garnish (optional)

Directions
In a large pot, sauté the onion in vegetable oil or water for about 10 minutes over a medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, and chili pepper. Continue sautéing for 3 more minutes. Keep adding more water, 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to prevent from sticking to the pan. Continue stirring. Add all the spices and cook for 2 minutes, add more water if necessary. Add red lentils, coconut milk, water (2 and 1/2 cups), potatoes and green peas. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes until the lentils are creamy and the potatoes are cooked. Taste for salt and serve with basmati rice or pita bread.

*Note
I am not a cilantro fan. I tried to be one...I really did, but to no avail. Sorry! To remedy my cilantro problem, I discovered, dried cilantro in my supermarket. I use as a garnish only. I bought it for .99 cents and I LOVE using as garnish for Indian or Mexican cuisine.

1 comment: