Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Polish Vegetable Stew - Leczo # Vegan MoFo

On Sunday, I spoke to my mom as usual. She mentioned a Polish dish she recently started making called Leczo. Since I have never had it as a kid growing up in Poland, I was intrigued. One hour later, I had all the information I needed to make it.

Apparently, the original version is often made with sausage, but you can use chickpeas or any type of beans instead of vegan sausage.

I used Italian vegan sausage to go along with the Italian seasoning even though it is a Polish dish. What can I say? I like to mix it up a bit. Cheers! 

Polish Vegetable Stew - Leczo. I have purchased the salt and pepper shakers in Krakow, Poland. 
Ingredients 
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced to half-moon shapes
1 medium bell pepper of choice (I used orange), seeds removed, thinly sliced to half-moon shapes
2 small yellow or green zucchinis, thinly sliced
1 small/medium graffiti eggplant, thinly sliced to half-moon shapes
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 homemade or store bought vegan sausages of choice, sliced
2 cups diced tomatoes in juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions 
In a large non-stick skillet, sauté the onion and bell pepper in oil, for about 5-6 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables: zucchinis, eggplant and garlic and continue cooking for about 6 more minutes.

Don't be limited by the vegetables mentioned, use any vegetables you like. I was going to use mushrooms in this dish, and then I changed my mind after this picture was taken. 
Add vegan sausages of choice, diced tomatoes and spices. Mix well, cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and serve with bread, pasta or anything you like.

I like to eat Leczo with bread. Today, I am using leftovers as a sandwich filling. 




2 comments:

  1. With all due respect but actually Leczo is not polish dish, even though it is popular in Poland. The orygin of Leczo is Hungarian. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all due respect but actually Leczo is not polish dish, even though it is popular in Poland. The orygin of Leczo is Hungarian. 😊

    ReplyDelete