Monday, January 5, 2015

Quick Creamy Tomato Soup and Happy New Year!

I hope you celebrated New Year's the way you imagined it and that 2015 will be a great year for you. There are no New Year's resolutions for me this year. I have stopped dwelling on past years and I have stopped making New Year's resolutions for some time now. The year 2015 will be as it comes and I am ready. I have gained all I could from dwelling in the past. Similarly, I have surmised waiting for the future me - a better me - is a waste of time, which is why I choose to live in the present now. Of course there is nothing wrong with self-improvement coupled with a set achievement date. However, I have noticed this type of thinking has stopped me from enjoying myself and participating in life for too long. Now, I work on self-improvement in the present and without a set date of completion. I try to live in the present to the best of my abilities. Living this way is a skill I am continuing to learn through daily practice. The longer I practice, the easier it becomes.

For example, I have to admit I lost my holiday spirit when my sweet 15 year old feline friend Othello passed away just before the holidays. I kept focusing on what ifs and I was not able to focus on the present. After all, there were other furry buggers asking for attention and I was not there for them mentally.
Handsome boy sitting on his pillow last summer. The extra leg belongs to my other cat Lilah. 
Even though everything was different and nothing was the same, I made a small step towards living in the present during this difficult time. I purchased a Christmas tree. Did it work? The Christmas tree was almost magical to look at coupled with providing a wonderful diversion of sorts. I enjoyed looking at Dude, 4 year old feline youngster depicted below, checking out the tree.
Dude and his tree. 
Getting a Christmas tree did not bring Othello back, but it helped me with continuing to move forward. Now onto the recipe.
Creamy Tomato Soup. I served it with grilled "cheese "sandwich. 
Creamy Tomato Soup Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sized onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup vegetable broth or water
1 (28-oz can) crushed tomatoes
1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk, add at the end
1 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste, about 1/4 teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon turbinado raw cane sugar

Directions
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and sauté it for about 6-10 minutes. Stir often. Now add all the spices, crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth or water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Stir often. Turn off the heat, add the plant milk of choice and stir. Blend the soup with an immersion blender to a very smooth consistency. Taste for additional seasonings and adjust accordingly. If you do not have an immersion blender, use a regular blender.

Tip: glass blenders are better choice for this job in comparison to plastic blenders because glass does not stain. Tomato soup will most likely stain your plastic blender.

Store the soup in a closed container and in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Rock on!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that Othello passed away; it sounds like he had a great life with you & was so dearly loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very sweet Julie. Thank you for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete