Monday, January 12, 2015

Cream of Spinach Soup Without the Cream and Eating Our Emotions

This morning I stepped on the scale and noticed a significant change in the number I have been accustomed to. "What the frack?" I uttered to myself. The answer was clear. I fell into my old habit of eating larger quantities of food in response to my feelings.

When I came back from visiting Poland recently and after spending a month there with my family, it was difficult to adjust. Then Othello, my 15 year old kitty, became ill, followed by passing away prior to the holidays. The combination of both was the induction to eating my emotions. Of course, now I know better than to succumb to this behavioral pattern for too long. This is backed up by my professional training, but also through prior experiences with this issue. For me, eating larger quantities of food in response to my feelings during the times of emotional distress is not necessarily about making myself feel better, but rather, it is a maladaptive response I have utilized to quiet my internal dialogue.

I continue to practice being kinder to myself and steer clear from obsessive thinking about this or that. I try to remember that it is not all that important what did not go well in the past, yesterday, or even this morning. I focus on the present.

With that in mind, I am going back to eating what I enjoy eating the most, which is soups.
Cream of Spinach Soup 
Cream of Spinach Soup Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 pound red potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 7-8 small red potatoes)
1/2 pound baby spinach, washed (add at the end)
6 cups strong vegetable broth
1 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon marjoram (if you can't find it, substitute with Italian seasoning)
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
Easy to make and kind of fancy pants, don't you think?
Directions
In a large soup pot, sauté the onion in olive oil, over a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir often. Add the potatoes, all the spices and vegetable broth, cover and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, but not mushy, for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove bay leaves, add the spinach and allow it to wilt for about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and blend the soup with an immersion blender to a smooth consistency. If you do not have an immersion blender, regular blender will work too. In that case, transfer the soup to a regular blender in small batches and be sure not to burn yourself. Now that the soup is a smooth and creamy, taste it for additional seasonings. Adjust it to your taste. Serve it with vegan sour cream or without. Store in the refrigerator, in a closed container for up to one week.

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment