Saturday, June 7, 2014

Easy Semolina Breakfast Cakes

I used to eat semolina porridge (called Kasza Manna in Polish) for breakfast with sugary fruit syrup on top as a kid. It was a typical Polish breakfast catered specifically to kids the same way cereal is here in the US.

Recently I discovered this old favorite in a Polish grocery store, and I felt compelled to try it again. I was planning on making a porridge out of it, but I decided to make this instead. I think I will continue exploring making other semolina cakes in the future. I already have another recipe in mind. Stay tuned...

Cheers!

Semolina Breakfast Cakes
Semolina Breakfast Cakes (Makes About 12 Cakes)

Ingredients
1 and 1/3 cups semolina or semolina flour (I used semolina. Semolina flour is more delicate while semolina is coarse almost like cornmeal.)
1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 small/medium banana, mashed with a fork (Substitute the banana with one chia or flax egg if you don't fancy bananas.)
2 teaspoons unsulphured molasses (Substitute with  2 teaspoons of maple syrup or raw cane sugar if you don't have molasses.)

*Vegetable oil for frying
This texture is not fluffy like a pancake, but rather it is dense like a cake. Maple syrup will work best as a topping. I did not have any maple syrup. I used organic powdered sugar instead. 
Directions
Preheat a large non-stick cooking pan over a medium heat.

Mash the banana with a fork in a medium bowl. Add baking powder and molasses and mix well. I used a whisk for this task. Add milk and the semolina and mix. Start frying immediately. If you don't, the batter will become too thick while it is sitting on the counter. No es bueno! (no good!)

Fry 4 semolina breakfast cakes at a time, 3 to 4 minutes on each side, in 1 to 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Be sure to flatten the batter using a spatula or a spoon as soon as the batter touches the pan. Otherwise the cakes will be too thick. I used a large serving spoon to measure my batter for each cake.

Serve immediately. Best served with maple syrup. If you are planning on using powdered sugar instead, be sure to have a glass of plant milk handy to wash it down.

Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment