Saturday, June 28, 2014

Easy Gluten-Free Banana Bread

I was not planning on making a banana bread anytime soon and yet I was compelled to do so when I looked at my counter filled with overly ripe bananas. I have been on a banana eating frenzy for quite some time. I am unable to explain it. I always liked bananas, but never to this extent.

I like bananas to be a particular way before I eat them. They have to be somewhat green, and not soft. I will not eat ripe bananas. This is why I made this banana bread. I also had some leftover gluten-free flour mix I wanted to finish up, hence a gluten-free creation. Use regular flour if if you prefer, just be sure to add it gradually. You may need less of regular flour than the two cups of gluten-free flour indicated to make this recipe.

Cheers!
Banana Bread
Banana Bread

Ingredients
4 medium overly ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses, maple or agave syrup
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup melted coconut oil or canola oil
2 cups gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Biscuit and Baking Mix)

*Non-stick cooking spray for coating the baking dish.

Directions 
Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork. Leave some chunks of banana for texture. Add cinnamon, chia seeds, and baking powder. Mix well to incorporate the baking powder. Add the gluten-free flour, molasses, and coconut oil. Mix well using a spatula.

Coat a 9 x 5" loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and add the banana bread batter. Wet your fingers with warm water to spread the batter in the loaf pan "evenly." The batter will be sticky and difficult to spread using a spatula. I find this method most effective for this task.

Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes until a clean toothpick or a metal skewer comes out clean when inserted in the center of the banana bread.

Allow 10 minutes to cool off before removing from the baking dish and slicing.

Store in a tightly closed container, in room temperature, for up to 3 days. Be sure to place a paper towel on the bottom and top of the container to absorb excess moisture.
Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment