Monday, March 31, 2014

Split Mung Bean Barley Soup and End of Days

Do not be alarmed! End of days for me right now equates with graduating in 4 weeks with a Master's Degree. I did not think I could do it given my doubts and such...I will share these struggles with you another time.

While I am unable to look beyond graduation right now, considering current school work and all the stress that it entails, I feel the wave of uncertainty and change rushing towards me. 

Although it is easier to be swept over, I choose to ride this wave out, but I fear my lack of having a surfboard. I should TOTALLY get one DUDE! Gnarly...

Split Mung Bean Barley Soup
Ingredients
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2 small leeks, cleaned, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
4 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt (any type will work)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon or more)
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup barley (any type will work)
1 cup peeled, split mung beans
7-8 cups vegetable broth, depending on soup consistency preference
Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)

Need a soup hug? I certainly do! 
Directions 
In a large soup pot, sauté the leeks, and carrots in olive oil, over a medium heat, for about 6-10 minutes. Add a splash of water, if necessary, to prevent from sticking. Stir often. Add garlic, and all the spices. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Don't burn the garlic and add another splash of water, if necessary. I use the water trick all the time!

Add barley, mung beans and 7 cups of vegetable broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and cook for about 35-45 minutes, until the beans are creamy and the barley is fork tender. If the soup gets too thick for your liking, add another cup of vegetable broth while cooking.

Taste for salt and pepper and season according to your taste. Garnish with parsley and serve with a 'hunk' of bread. I did not have a hunk, so I went hunk-less. No worries though, the soup was great without.
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I made this awesome soup/dahl this morning, and after I put it in the bowls, I added some Kimchi - it adds an extra dimension that is simply awesome. Try it.

    ReplyDelete