Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Chickpea Pizza Crust For One. Eat The Entire Pie! I Did!!!

I love pizza! Although I appreciate the standard dough recipes for pizza crust, I like to try something new once in a while. I have used chickpea flour before to make flat breads, crepes, omelets, and french toast with good results, so why not try pizza crust?

I am not re-inventing the wheel; recipes for pizza crust made from chickpea flour have been around for a while. If you haven't tried cooking with chickpea flour yet, I highly recommend it. Aside from the dishes I mentioned above, you can also use chickpea flour as a thickener in sauces instead of using corn starch or all-purpose flour. Look for chickpea flour in local Indian grocery stores. Most likely the cost will be less in comparison to other markets.

Cheers! 

Chickpea pizza crust. Easy and quick! 
Chickpea Pizza Crust (Makes One Serving)
*Double the recipe when cooking for two. 

Ingredients
1/2 cup chickpea/besan flour
1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon olive oil
Dash of sea salt (about 1/4 teaspoon or less)
1 teaspoon dried basil or spices of choice (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 450F.

Make the dough batter. Whisk all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside for about 15 minutes, to allow dough to thicken. While the dough is resting, prepare pizza toppings of choice. I used sautéed mushrooms, and also added as toppings: kalamata olives, tempeh, tomato sauce, and vegan cheese from Trader Joe's. Be sure not overload the pizza. This dough may not survive and break when a mountain of toppings is placed on it.

Once the toppings are ready, set them aside. Now fry the pizza dough batter to make a pancake type crust. I used non-stick pan, coated with non-stick cooking spray. Pour dough batter into pre-heated medium size pan, over a medium heat and spread it 'evenly' with a spatula. Fry on each side for about 4-5 minutes.

Once the dough is ready, place it on aluminum foil. Add tomato sauce (about 1 teaspoon), if using, and toppings of choice. Place pizza in the oven for about 5-6 minutes until the crust is crunchy on the edges and the vegan cheese has melted.

Serve immediately. Eat it with a fork and a knife (Fancy Pants!) or cut it into slices. I also like to top my pizza with arugula.
Eat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment