Thursday, January 16, 2014

Indian Spiced Cabbage and Letting Things Go

2014 has been a fantastic and an interesting year for me thus far. It has been fantastic because I am finally getting the hang of letting things go. I do not look at it as a weakness - I have done that in the past. Now, I view the idea of letting things go as a strength.

During the times when I am tempted to go back to my previous way of thinking, I utilize this phrase: "I never did mind about the little things." I don't know why it stuck with me to this day, after watching Point Of No Return, a long time ago.

An interesting part about 2014 is that I have decided to accept that letting things go, is indeed a good idea. Acceptance in this regard is about accepting that I can't control what goes on around me, but I CAN control how I react to it.

What changed? Well…my old way of holding on to things was simply not working out for me. With that in mind, I knew I had to make a change.

Changing one's way of thinking is not easy to do. However, it is achievable with practice. The more I practice, the easier it gets.

I hope 2014 aligns with your expectations of good things to come and that YOU will accept what you can't control, and practice the idea of letting things go.

The seed has been planted. Make it grow.

Cheers! 
Indian Spiced Cabbage. Looking good! 
Indian Spiced Cabbage
*Recipe inspired by Curried Cabbage & Peas from Appetite For Reduction  

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium sized red onion, finely chopped (any onion will do!)
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups shredded green or red cabagge
1 cup frozen green peas, defrosted
1/2 cup vegetable broth
*1 to 2 tablespoons water
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Indian Spice Mix
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
I think the antique miniature car is pretty sweet! The cabbage is not bad either. 
Directions 
Make the Indian spice mix first by combining all the spices listed, in a bowl.

In a large non-stick pan, sauté the onion in olive oil, for about 3 minutes, over medium-low heat. Add garlic and continue sautéing for another minute. Combine with the prepared spices, and cook for another minute. Stir often. Add a splash of water, if necessary, to prevent from burning.

*If you happen to burn the spices, you will have to start over. Do not leave the pan unattended - please.

Add the shredded cabbage, and the vegetable broth. Ccontinue cooking for about 20 minutes. Stir often. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I added about 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and about the same amount of salt.

Five minutes prior to the cabbage being done, add the peas. Once you stir in the peas, do not cook the cabbage and peas longer than five minutes. Otherwise, the peas will become mushy.

Serve over rice, mashed or baked potatoes or anything you like.

 I served it with overly baked tofu.

No comments:

Post a Comment