Saturday, January 11, 2014

Boston Baked Beans Recipe - They are Wicked Awesome!

To this day, I have not met a bean I did not like. I am very accepting of all legumes and they are very accepting of my needs as well. For example: beans are a cheap date for one. That's enough of personification.

What led me to this recipe? I had an almost full bottle of molasses sitting in my refrigerator, waiting to get some attention. Baked beans and molasses are a great pair, thus here we are. Incidentally, molasses has a large amount of potassium, so don't feel badly about consuming this calorie-laden host once in a while. 

Additionally, since I live in Boston (also affectionally dubbed Beantown) at the moment, I thought it would be very fitting to make Boston Baked Beans - a staple in these parts since 1620. 

Aside from this recipe, Boston has other wonderful attributes stemming from its history and its people. As a New Yorker/Bostonian, I have learned that people here are friendly and open, take their beer and sports very seriously - as they should - and say the word "wicked" quite a bit. 

Cheers! 

Boston Baked Beans. Wicked good!  
Boston Baked Beans
*Navy beans also known as haricot beans are traditionally used in this recipe. 

Ingredients 
1 (15-oz can) great northern beans, drained and rinsed (navy beans beans may be substituted)
1 (15-oz can) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
1/2 red onion, finely diced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon onion powder

Beans in a shot glass? I topped them with toasted bread crouton for dipping. I should have waited for the beans to cool off a bit to circumvent the steam from forming in the glass. 

Directions 
Preheat oven to 350F. In a large non-stick pan, sauté the onion in olive oil for about 5-8 minutes. I like my onions caramelized, which means that I cook them for about 8 minutes. Alternately, use water or non-stick cooking spray instead of oil, be sure to stir often.

Add garlic and continue sautéing for another 2 minutes. Now add tomato sauce, Dijon mustard, molasses, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and onion powder. Continue cooking on medium-low for about 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning. I did not use salt since the tomato sauce was salty enough. However, add salt if you think it will improve the flavor.

Combine with the beans, stir and cook for another minute. Place the beans in a baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover the beans, and bake for another 20-30 minutes, depending on preference. There will be plenty of sauce for dipping bread. Serve over rice (why not?), or anything you like.

They are wicked awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment