Friday, October 25, 2013

Apple Butter and The Big Apple

Slow-Cooked Apple Butter (recipe by Robin Robertson
Last Saturday, I visited The Big Apple for the first time after my move to Massachusetts, almost two years ago. Prior to visiting, I had some doubts whether I would feel like a New Yorker once again when walking through the crowded streets or taking the subway to Brooklyn to meet with a good friend.

To my surprise, I felt as I have never left, the NYC streets echoed the same energy as when I lived there. Even though the T here in Boston differs from the NYC subway system, I was able to whip up my many Metrocards from two years ago and find the one that has not expired. I did not feel stressed out about taking the subway, and I also enjoyed the diversity that New York offers. People do not care where you are from, and I have missed that feeling immensely.

Onto the recipe. I still had some apples left from my apple picking adventure a few weeks back, and I have decided to make Robin Robertson's Slow-Cooked Apple Butter from her amazing cookbook: Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker. The recipe is simple and delicious. I would also encourage you to try other recipes from this cookbook, all recipes are FANTASTIC. Cheers!

Apples! 
Slow-Cooked Apple Butter (Makes about 4 cups)
[Posted with the author's permission]

Ingredients
2 and 1/2 to 3 pounds cooking apples, washed, cored and thickly sliced
1 and 1/4 cups natural sugar, or more to taste
1/3 cup apple juice
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions
Combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low until the apples are very soft, about 8 hours.

Remove the lid, turn the heat to High, and stir the mixture. Continue to cook, uncovered, until the mixture thickens, 2-4 hours. When the apple butter has reached the thickness you prefer, turn off the slow cooker, remove the lid, and allow to cool off completely. When cool, transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Alternatively, you can process the apples through a food mill to remove the bits of peel.

The apple butter will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.

Eat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment