Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I Am Not That Cool! and Everything Indian Green Lentil Stew

I have misled myself all this time in thinking that I was somewhat cool. To my surprise, I have been proven otherwise, very recently. I refuse to name names...

Given my history of liking everything that parents do not typically like, including loud and angry music, dressing against the stream with a hint or two of rebellion, and let's not forget about being GOTH for quite some time, I have come to a conclusion that my idea of coolness differs from others immensely. 

I no longer know what's up, and yet I am ok with it, so there!

Stay Cool!  

Everything Indian Green Lentil Stew served over rice. 
Everything Indian Green Lentil Stew

Ingredients 
1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil or vegan butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound (16-ounces) small green whole lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 (28-oz can) crushed tomatoes
7 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon crushed fenugreek
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 large bay leaves
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 large cinammon stick
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Cayenne pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon raw cane sugar

Not sure how Blue's picture got here. She's got the cool factor for CERTAIN. 
Directions
In a large soup pot, heat oil or vegan butter over a medium heat. Add all the spices, and toast for about 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Mix in lentils, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook until the lentils are creamy, for about 45 minutes.

Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and the cinnamon stick. Taste for salt, and serve over rice of choice.

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment