Sunday, January 25, 2015

Easy Homemade Crackers

Happy Sunday! I have finally decided to post my homemade crackers recipe I have been putting off for a while. This is mostly due to my laziness - I admit it. Aside from posting this recipe, I have an exciting day planned which includes organizing my closet. You are right, I am not all that excited about this task. It has to be done. I have been consistent with keeping my closet organized for a while, and then it became a mess. I know nothing becomes a mess on its own. Someone told me once disorganized spaces in our homes may reflect what goes on in our minds. Perhaps this is true on some level for me. However, I will not let that deter me from organizing my closet and my mind for that matter, today. Rock on!
Easy Homemade Crackers
Crackers Ingredients
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons flavored or regular olive oil (I used garlic flavored olive oil)
3/4 cup or less unsweetened almond or soy milk, add gradually
1/4 cup sesame, poppy or flax seeds to sprinkle on top of crackers, optional
Let's do this! 
Directions 
Preheat oven to 425F. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, onion powder, paprika, turmeric, and nutritional yeast flakes. Use a whisk to incorporate all of the dry ingredients. Now add oil and 1/2 cup of milk. You may not need the entire 3/4 cups of milk for this recipe. Begin to knead the dough and slowly add the rest of the milk until all the flour is incorporated. The dough should be moist, but not sticky. This is what the dough should look like.
You can do this! 
Dive the dough into two "equal" parts and roll out each part into a thin pancake. Like this:
Dough divided into two "equal" parts. In case you are wondering, you will not need extra flour for dusting your work surface. The dough comes off easily and does not need extra flour.
We are ready to shape the crackers. You can use any small or even large cookie cutters to make fun shapes like these:
I purchased these cookie cutters on sale at H&M's Home Department for a $1.00. 
Once you cut out the cracker shapes using cookie cutters, combine the remnants of the first part of the dough, roll it out, and continue forming crackers using cookie cutters until all the dough is gone. Now move on to the second half of the original dough you set aside. Repeat the process.

Note: The more you work with the same dough the less pliable it will become. To prevent this, be sure not to combine the remnants of the first half of the original dough with the other half of dough you set aside.
Fun activity for both adults and the little ones. 
If you are not up to speed with using cookie cutters to shape your crackers or you simply do not have any cookie cutters on hand, no worries. Use a knife to cut your crackers into squares on an angle or however you prefer. Like this:
You can do this directly on an oiled cookie sheet pan or a working surface, followed by placing the cut out cracker shapes on an oiled cookie sheet pan. 
Before the crackers go into the oven, be sure to oil the cookie sheet pan with a non-stick cooking spray. I do not own a cookie sheet pan at this juncture of my life. I used aluminum foil coated with non-stick cooking spray instead to bake the crackers. Beware of slippage when taking out baked crackers from the oven when using aluminum foil instead of a cookie sheet pan. I have lost a few cracker friends this way. I recommend using a cookie sheet pan to bake these crackers instead of aluminum foil if available.
Now sprinkle sesame seeds on the crackers and gently press them into the dough. Do not use non-stick cooking spray at this point. If you do, the sesame seeds will fly away. Literally. 
Bake the crackers for 9-10 until the crackers are golden brown, but not burnt.
Ready to party!
These crackers are best eaten when fresh. These also taste great the next day, but are not as crunchy. Serve with salsa, hummus or drop a few to your soup for good measure. Store in a closed container lined with a paper towel to absorb moisture for up to 3 days.
Cheers! 

1 comment:

  1. I made the crackers and it was great. Thank you

    ReplyDelete