Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mushroom Buckwheat Soup and Warm Weather Be Gone!

While many peeps out there enjoy the warm weather, I refuse to accept winter is over. I guess making this soup is my way of rebelling against the season change.

Why don't I enjoy warm weather you ask? I think mostly it is because I don't feel like myself when warmth is near. I get lethargic and have difficulties thinking clearly. Yup, that's me in a nutshell.

Your season inclinations may differ, but that does not excuse you from making this soup.

Cheers!
Mushroom Buckwheat Soup
Mushroom Buckwheat Soup

Ingredients
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 (24-oz package) white mushrooms, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
Freshly ground black pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon salt or more depending on preference
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1 tablespoon dried dill
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
6 cups water or mushroom/vegetable stock (I used one mushroom bullion cube)
1 cup buckwheat (also known as kasha)
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted (add at the end)
I can't wait to eat it again, no lie. 
Directions
In a large soup pot, sauté the onion and mushrooms in olive oil for about 10 minutes, over a medium heat. Add garlic and continue sautéing for another minute. Stir often.

Add all the spices, buckwheat and vegetable stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and continue cooking until buckwheat is fully cooked, about 15-20 minutes. Add the peas and cook for another two minutes. Turn off the heat and taste for seasonings. You may want to add more pepper, dill and salt. I did!

Peace out!
Eat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment