Wednesday, January 15, 2014

TVP Tacos!

In efforts to clean up my pantry, I have been trying to use up the food that has been lodged between dark chocolate and flour…or rice and red lentils. Actually, the list goes further, but I will leave it at that.

I found a package of TVP and a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I dared to use both as an inspiration for TVP tacos.

TVP is an ingredient I do not cook a lot with. However, I find it useful when I am super hungry. During such times, I add it to soups, or use it as a topic on salads or even pizza.

T stands for Total
V stands for Value
P stands for Please stop creating a new meaning for the TVP acronym.

Cheers!

Taco night! I have them once in a while, and when I do, I question my reasons for not partaking in this food theme more often.
TVP Tacos 

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small bell pepper (any color will do), seeds removed and finely diced
2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (use 1 tablespoon to make it less spicy)
1 tablespoon raw cane sugar
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup TVP
Sea salt to taste (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste (about 1/4 of a teaspoon)

*Don't forget to get the tortillas. Other good additions include: salsa, rice, beans, avocados. arugula and so forth. 


I use tahini sauce instead of "sour cream." In fact, tahini sauce is my latest go to food. I also use it on sandwiches instead of other condiments. I also use it instead of a salad dressing. That's all I've got thus far! 
Directions 
In a large non-stick pan, sauté the onion and bell pepper in olive oil for about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic and continue sautéing for another 2 minutes. Add a splash of water, if necessary, to prevent from sticking to the pan. Stir often.

Add chipotle peppers, all of the spices including the sugar. Continue cooking for another minute or so. Add another splash of water, if necessary. Stir in the vegetable broth, and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add TVP, stir, cover the pan. Turn off the heat, and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.

Serve on a tortilla with rice or beans or both. I like to eat mine with salsa, arugula, and tahini sauce. Weird? Always!!!

Eat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment