Monday, September 16, 2013

Potato Babka - Kartoflak # Vegan MoFo

Dear Vegan MoFo,

I wanted to let you know I have not given up on you yet. I really wanted to though. I am still determined to post five blog entries each week, during the month of September. However, last week, I crumbled under the pressure and posted four blog entries instead. Mea culpa

I wanted you to hear this from me rather than another blogger. I think this Potato Babka recipe will inspire forgiveness in your eyes. Plus, I have decided to adopt another feline friend from a shelter. His name is Othello. Beware of his cuteness. 

Sincerely,

Vegan Kitty Patrol (VKP)

What is Potato Babka? It is a delicious potato pie made with simple ingredients. 
Ingredients
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or oil of choice) for sautéing, plus additional, see below
2 small onions, divided
1 (10-oz package) cremini mushrooms, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
13-15 medium size potatoes, peeled and grated (not shredded)
3-4 tablespoons potato flour (regular flour may be substituted)
1/3 cup grapeseed oil (or oil of choice)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste, about 2 teaspoons

I had two more slices after this picture was taken.

Directions
In a medium non-stick skillet, sauté one small, finely chopped onion and mushrooms, in 1 tablespoon of oil, for about 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 375 F. While the onion, and mushrooms are sautéing, grate the potatoes and the remaining onion in a food processor or use a manual grater. Transfer the grated potatoes and onion to a mesh drainer in efforts to remove the excess liquid, for about 3 minutes.

In a separate, medium size bowl, combine the drained potato-onion mixture with the sautéed mushroom-onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Taste if necessary for salt. I did!

Add potato flour and mix well. Combine with oil and bake in an oiled 8-inch pie pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes, depending on crispiness preference. Serve with vegan sour cream, mushroom gravy or soy sauce.


Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment